Updated July 2021
Were you impacted by the Google Product Reviews Update? Product reviews are the life blood of affiliate markers. They are created with the goal that readers will gain valuable information about the product or serviced, and how it can fix their problem. The ultimate goal is the reader will click the link to buy the product or service, thus generating a commission for the affiliate marketer.
In an effort to give readers a better user experience when searching for content on Google pages, the search engine put forth an effort to standardize what is deemed high quality content. Google released the Product Review Update on April 8, 2021, in an effort to improve the user experience when searching for and reading product reviews.
Over the years, Google has changed the guidelines for what it calls good, well-researched, and in-depth content. The requisite word count of product reviews has steadily increased as readers became more savvy consumers of content, requiring the marketer to more and better information.
As with other Google algorithm updates, it takes about two weeks for the Google Product Reviews Update to completely roll out. In an effort to achieve this initiative, Google is using this algorithm update to reward well-written and well-researched in-depth content by ranking this content above thin spammy content.
Table of Contents
How does the Google Product Reviews Update Impact Affiliate Marketers
Some people say Google hates affiliate marketing and is out to crush affiliate sites. That is definitely not the case, but Google does want affiliate marketers to provide readers with high quality informative information that meets the users needs, and not low-quality spammy information that is created just to make a commission.
You may be wondering how the Google Product Reviews Update can affect you as an affiliate marketer. Check out the Google cheat sheet on how to make sure you're producing high quality content. The goal of this algorithm update is to reward authoritative, in-depth, well researched and well written product reviews that provide readers with informative and useful information. The algorithm update downgraded or delists content the search engine deems to be thin spammy content or is a brief product summaries.
The Google Product Reviews Update also intends to down grade in the search engine results poorly written spammy content that is intended to make commissions and not provide useful or helpful content.
Was Your Content Downgraded
If your content was downgraded in the search engine results pages (SERPS) on or around April 8, 2021, you may have been affected by the Product Review Update. If this happens, you would most likely see a loss of traffic to your pages, as well as, a drop in clicks and conversions, as your pages drop from the first page to page 2, 3 or lower.
The good news is that you can recover from Google Product Reviews Update. Unlike other Google algorithm updates, Google gives you clear indication how to recover from the update. There are steps you need to take to help your content recover.
You should go through every product review on your site and see if it has been affected by the Google Product Review Update.
You'll want to update re-write sections that don't meet the quality standards below Google expects all product reviews to contain.
Don't just write exclusively about the product you are reviewing. Google expects you to compare and contrast the product with the competition. You'll want to clearly explain how your product differentiates from the competition, and how this product will meet your readers needs.
How to Recover from the Google Product Review Update
- Express expert knowledge about products where appropriate?
- Show what the product is like physically, or how it is used, with unique content beyond what's provided by the manufacturer?
- Provide quantitative measurements about how a product measures up in various categories of performance?
- Explain what sets a product apart from its competitors?
- Cover comparable products to consider, or explain which products might be best for certain uses or circumstances?
- Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of a particular product, based on research into it?
- Describe how a product has evolved from previous models or releases to provide improvements, address issues, or otherwise help users in making a purchase decision?
- Identify key decision-making factors for the product's category and how the product performs in those areas? For example, a car review might determine that fuel economy, safety, and handling are key decision-making factors and rate performance in those areas.
- Describe key choices in how a product has been designed and their effect on the users beyond what the manufacturer says?
Those are the questions you need to think about when reviewing your product review content and updating what you have to perform well in this category.
What is the E-A-T Method when Updating Your Product Review
Google said these are the steps you need to take to recover from the new Google Product Reviews Update. Whenever possible, you should use the E-A-T method for content creation:
- Share your Expertise about the product or service.
- Express your Authority in the product subject matter on this product.
- You must develop Trust with your reader. Have their best interest in mind, and not how to get into their wallet.
Using the EAT Method will ensure you create informative, well-researched, and in-depth content your readers are seeking, and Google will reward you, by ranking your content higher in the search engine results pages, above other content.
- How to Recover from the Google Product Reviews Update - 06/26/2021
- Best Free SEO Tools Suite for Bloggers - 06/05/2021
- Time for Affiliate Summit East 2021 - 04/27/2021